I'm 3 Months old! I...
- turn toward bright colors and lights
- follow moving toys or faces with my eyes
- recognize or know the bottle or breast
- respond to loud or new sounds
- reach for and grasp toys or hair
- wiggle and kick with legs and arms
- lift head and shoulders up while on stomach
- smile back at parents or other family members
- make sounds, like gurgling, cooing or babbling
I'm 6 months old! I...
- turn toward voices
- reach for toys and pick them up
- roll over front-to-back and back-to-front
- play with toes
- help hold bottle during feedings, if bottle fed
- know faces of family
- babble, squeal, and repeat vowel sounds, like ooh, -ae, -e
- sit by leaning on hand
I'm 9 months old! I...
- copy sounds or gestures
- reach for crumbs or other small things with my thumb and fingers
- move toys from one hand to the other hand
- I straighten my arms to support myself when on my stomach
- understand the word "No"
I'm 12 months old! I...
- respond to my name
- may be scared of strangers
- look for an object if you hide it from me, even if I can't see it
- crawl on my hands and knees
- pull myself to a standing position
- walk by holding onto furniture
- can drink from a cup with your help
- enjoy playing games, like peek-a-boo or patty cake
- say one to two words
I'm 15 months old! I...
- use gestures
- like to look at pictures in a book
- can hold a crayon in a fist
- hand toys to you when you ask me
- can point to pictures you name, if the things in the picture are familiar to me
- walk alone without help
I'm 18 months old! I...
- like to pull and push things
- follow simple directions
- pull off shoes and socks
- feed myself sometimes
- step off low objects and keep balance
- turn two to three pages of a book at a time
- can point to one body part
- can name one object
- like to copy your words or actions
I'm 21 months old! I...
- can name two objects
- like to pretend-play
- can put together a simple picture puzzle if it has only two or three large pieces
- like to throw balls
- like to play alone with toys for a short time
- say "No" a lot
I'm 24 months old! I...
- use two to three words together, like "No, Mommy" or "More cookies"
- say names of toys and people
- feed myself with a spoon
- turn one page at a time
- point to hair, eyes and nose when someone asks me
- show affection to family members and pets
- run short distances without falling
I'm 36 months old! I...
- answer simple questions
- walk up steps, alternating feet
- put my clothes on by myself
- open simple containers
- like to play with other children
- repeat simple rhymes and songs
- use three to five word sentences
- name at least one color correctly
- jump in place
- express my emotions